NBC also explained that, following the death of George Floyd, signs and artwork bearing the slogan “Yellow Peril Supports Black Power” began appearing at protests and on social media .
It's nice to have NBC around to explain things.
Then we learn that some activists began speaking out against its use, saying it detracts from the movement by equating Asian American struggles with black struggles. “The false analogies end up getting us into trouble,” Connie Wun, co-founder and executive director of AAPI Women Lead told NBC Asian America.
I can sense the problem.
One thing bothers me and dozens of other Americans, and NBC is no help with this: Is the skin of Chinese people really yellow? So many mysteries, so little time.
Here's a quiz. Which of these headlines describes a yellow peril?
- Leaked secret documents detail up to four additional Chinese spy balloons
- China’s Green Lasers Over Hawaii Signal a Coming War: Expert
- China has launched hundreds of satellites to target US: Space Force chief says Beijing is developing anti-satellite missiles, electronic jammers, lasers and technology that can MOVE rival orbiting platforms
- CCP declares intention to 'elevate armed forces' during increasing international conflict
- Total Wipeout: How China would hit US bases from California to Japan with ‘invincible’ hypersonic missiles in Pearl Harbor-style strike
- Chinese Rocket That Launched Spy Satellites Breaks up Over Texas
- China sends 71 warplanes, 7 ships toward Taiwan in 24 hour
- FBI Director Says COVID-19 Origin Is ‘Most Likely’ a Lab Incident in China