10. Bureaucrats. Our regulatory regime is costing lives. The early administrative failings of the FDA and Centers for Disease Control, which greatly worsened the crisis in the United States, show how ugly that can be.
9. Democrats. The Democratic leadership in Washington, led by Pelosi and Schumer, is using the pandemic to try to further a “far-left agenda that has nothing whatsoever to do with the coronavirus pandemic.” Some of the items: gifts to unions, expanded wind and solar tax credits, and a $15 federal minimum wage.
8. Globalization. The belief that globalization, through the radical centralization of market networks, was the unavoidable path forward has been exposed as a grave, near-delusional miscalculation.
7. Elites. Here are some people who are useless, especially now: Performance artists, diversity consultants, magic crystal healers, sociology TAs, members of the mainstream media, and gender-unspecified entities who brew kale kombucha.
6. Socialized Medicine. An Israeli doctor working in the northern Italian city of Parma, told Israeli TV that the number of patients is continuing to grow and that authorities are not allowing those over 60 who are ill access to respiratory machines.
5. Media. The assorted paleo-virtue signalers and candidates for anger management training that comprise the White House press corps have, as if it were possible, humiliated themselves more than ever, almost beyond recognition.
4. Open Borders. European officials working on a migration overhaul that will affect borderless travel say that the virus is at the very least a setback for their efforts, as it offers populists another opportunity to underline the importance of national border controls.
3. Urbanization. COVID-19 should prompt some reflection on our vulnerabilities and how to limit them in the future. One in particular bears rethinking: our ever-growing urban concentration and dependence on high-density, centrally managed mass transit.
And the No. 1casualty of the Xi Jinping Grungies …
1. Idiots. Health officials warn aganst self-medicating with chloroquine for Coronavirus after man dies from taking fish tank cleaner.